Online Safety Tips
- You may want to place the computer in a family room and monitor online time. Be aware of excessive time on the internet
- Use parental controls from filtering/monitoring software to filter harmful content or monitor your child's use.
- Teach you children to be respectful online and to follow rules for good behavior.
- Insist that your children never give out their real name, address, phone number or other personal information, including where they go to school or play. Help your child choose an online name that doesn't identify who they are.
- Tell your child they should never meet online friends in person. Explain online friends may not be who they say they are.
- Teach your child not to believe everything they read or see online. Encourage them to ask you if they're not sure.
- Consider having your child sign an "Online Agreement" with you.
A great resource for age appropriate "Online Agreements" and online safety is www.NetSmartz.org.